2014 Municipal Elections
Next Municipal Elections to be held on Monday, October 27, 2014
Every four years, in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, as amended, the City Clerk conducts elections for the offices of:
- Mayor - 1 to be elected
- City Councillors - 8 to be elected
- Regional Councillors - 3 to be elected
- English Public School Board - 2 to be elected
- English Separate School Board - 2 to be elected
- French Public School Board - 1 to be elected
- French Separate School Board - 1 to be elected
This site will continue to develop as new information becomes available as we approach the next regular municipal election to be held on MONDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2014.
To view an up-to-date list of the candidates for the 2014 election, visit the 2014 Candidates page.
Nominations may be filed by candidates with the Clerk or Deputy Clerk at City Hall at any time Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. excluding statutory holidays, from Thursday January 2, 2014 to Friday September 12, 2014. On Nomination Day (Last day for nominations Friday September 12, 2014), nominations may only be filed between the hours of 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
Download the Nomination Paper - Form 1.
Nomination Filing Fee
- $200 filing fee for mayoralty candidates
- $100 filing fee for councilor (City or Region) or school board trustee candidates
- Payment must be made in cash or debit
When you file your nomination paper, you must provide current acceptable identification that shows your name, qualifying address and signature, such as your Driver’s Licence, or a combination of I.D. that collectively shows your name, qualifying address and signature.
Qualification for Municipal Office
To run for an office, a candidate must be qualified on the day he or she files the nomination paper. The candidate must be:
- A Canadian citizen;
- A resident of the municipality, a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the municipality, or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant;
- At least 18 years old;
- Not legally prohibited from voting;
- Not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office (Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25and Municipal Elections Act, 1996, s17).
Note: a candidate, if nominated, must remain qualified throughout the election and, if elected, throughout the term of office.
Disqualification for Municipal Office
The following persons are disqualified from being elected to office:
- Any person not eligible to vote in the municipality;
- An employee of a municipality unless he or she
- Takes an unpaid leave of absence before being nominated
- Resigns, if elected to the office
- A judge of any court;
- A member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, a Senator or a member of the House of Commons;
- An inmate of a penal or correctional institution under sentence of imprisonment
- A person who is ineligible or disqualified under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, the Municipal Act, 2001, the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act, or any other act, to be elected to or hold the above mentioned office.
More Information and Links
For more information, please visit the following links:
Previous Election Results
Candidate Financial Statements
The financial statements for the 2010 Municipal Election Candidates are available for download on the 2010 Financial Statements page.
Compliance Audit Committee
The Niagara Compliance Audit website for the Committee that deals with requests for an audit on the campaigns of Election Candidates.
Questions, Assistance, and Accessibility
The City Clerk's staff are pleased to assist with any questions that you may have concerning the Municipal Election. If you have comments or concerns regarding the election process, forms, method of voting, polling locations,
voters' list or other matters pertaining to the Municipal Election, please let us know. Further, we welcome feedback to identify areas where changes need to be considered; and ways in which the City can improve the delivery of an
accessible election. If you require information in an alternate format, please let us know.
Phone: 905-356-7521 Ext. 4342
Manager of Clerk’s Services
City of Niagara Falls
P.O. Box 1023
Niagara Falls, Ontario L2E 6X5
City of Niagara Falls
4310 Queen Street
Niagara Falls, Ontario