Finance at Niagara Falls' City Hall serves to control all funds of the City. This involves collecting, recording and paying out funds in a manner that the laws of Ontario and the by-laws and resolutions of Council direct. Furthermore, Finance must maintain sufficient funds to meet the City's debt and operating expenses and provide financial information services for Council, all other City Departments/Divisions and the Public.
The Division functions through two major sections:
- Prepare, control and publish the Annual Operating and Capital Budgets.
- Record and compile financial information in a comprehensive manner for the use of Council, Staff and the Public.
- Provide complete payroll services for all Departments, Divisions and Council.
- Administer the financial aspects of the Ontario Home Renewal Program (OHRP). Prepare payment of accounts, debt and requirements of other levels of Government (Boards of Education, Region).
- Maintain and control all trusts and reserve funds of the municipality.
- Perform Internal Auditing function.
- Other related Accounting functions.
- Prepare, bill and collect all property taxes.
- Establish the annual Water/Sewer and tax rates.
- Assist the public with matters relating to assessment and taxes.
- File tax appeals pursuant to Sections 357 and 358 of the Municipal Act (e.g. demolition of building, ceasing to operate a business, gross and manifest assessment errors).
- A member of this section attends Assessment Review Board hearings, as required. Administer tax registrations for arrears of taxes. Issue tax certificates and tax information to legal firms, banks, realtors, and others.
- Maintain pre-authorized payment plans.
- Issue supplementary tax notices.
- Process Assessment Review Board, Ontario Municipal Board and tax appeals pursuant to Sections 357 and 358 of the Municipal Act.
- Receive and record all funds due to the municipality.
- Maintain tax notice files for mortgage companies.
- Process and handle other revenue related matters.
City Hall, First Floor
4310 Queen Street
Niagara Falls, Ontario