Return to the property list

Property Notes

Name: OUR LADY OF PEACE CHURCH
Address: 6989 STANLEY AV
Original Owner: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Year Constructed: 1894

Architect Name:
Architectural Style: ROMANESQUE REVIVAL
Builder Name: Piggott Construction Company
Designated: No

Historical Notes

The Carmelites came to Niagara Falls at the invitation of Toronto Archbishop John Lynch who donated the property near the Falls. Originally a hospice, the building housed Mount Carmel College from 1919 to 1979, which it became the Mount Carmel Spiritual Centre.

Architectural Notes

The original north wing and central section of the building were built in 1894; the south wing in 1926. The north wing was damaged by fire in November 1967 and later demolished. Constructed of cut limestone, it features massive round-arched arcades supported by pillars, heavy window arches/surrounds and round corner towers with conical roofs on the surviving south wing.

Location

Full Interactive Mapping