- Home Depot
- Mullen Garden Market
- Niagara Falls Horticulture Society
- Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort
- Ramada Plaza
- Re/Max Niagara Realty Ltd. Brokerage,
Daniela Mitrovic & Kathy Tsiantoulas
- Walker Environmental Group
Do you have a yard/landscaping question?
If you have a question that you'd like an answer to about your yard, landscaping or the Trillium program, submit your question now! You can view existing questions and answers too.
Want to enhance your curbside landscaping? Ideas that work!
Visitors see your front yard before anything else when they arrive to your home. Landscaping your front yard to make it look attractive and frame your house and entry well will help your house stand out and add value to your home. Whatever your budget, you can make some changes to your front yard that will improve the look of your home. For more tips on enhancing, visit the Landscaping Ideas page.
About the Trillium Recognition Program
The program is brought to you by The Park in the City Committee through the work of the Trillium Recognition Sub-Committee. The mandate of the program is to foster city-wide beautification efforts from all property owners through a recognition program that encourages residents to strive to enhance their curbside appeal while utilizing basic horticultural and environmental considerations. Residents are encouraged through co-operation to achieve a level of excellence in developing and maintaining their properties.
How to Participate
All property owners, whether residential, commercial or even industrial are able to participate…and it’s free! Residents are able to nominate their own property or other properties they feel would like to be involved. Keep in mind though, permission should be granted from property owners. More information, including Nomination Forms, are available on the Trillium Nomination page. Please note, nominations closed on July 1.
Here is a quick guide of what to expect:
- Your property is nominated by yourself or someone else online prior to July 1. Please keep in mind, that if you are nominating someone's property, please notify them to ensure they want to participate. All nominations are completed online. The information you will need is the complete mailing address of the property and owner's name. Optional data can include a phone number and email for the property owner. If you are having computer difficulties, call Recreation and Culture at 905-356-7521 ext.3330.
- After the nomination process closes on July 1, a letter will be sent to the property owner to remind them that the Trillium Sub-Committee will be visiting their property for a brief minute or so on Thursday, July 21, 2016 during business hours to assess the landscape. Scores are kept for each category from each committee member (please see Trillium Categories below for details). Pictures will be taken of the landscape. We recommend that you close your garage door and move your car away from the property if possible. These pictures will be shown at the end ceremony in September.
- Once all of the scores are tabulated, property owners will receive another letter in the mail indicating the outcome of the scoring for their property, whether they are receiving a gold, silver, bronze or participant rating. Letters are expected to be sent out during the month of August. The letters will also include 2 complimentary tickets to the Summer Trillium Recognition of Excellence Ceremony to take place on Thursday, September 22, 2016 at the Ramada Plaza Lundy's Lane. A complimentary wine and finger food reception will start at 6:30pm and the ceremony will start at 7:00pm.
- At the ending ceremony, property owners of a gold, silver or bronze rating will receive their award of a iron garden stake and plaque. If the property is a returning entry, they will only receive a plaque, which can be placed on their original stake. Some properties who are returning gold winners and are again rated gold this year will receive an Award of Excellence key chain. The ceremony will conclude at 8:00pm.
Assessment of your Property
The Trillium sub-Committee travels throughout the City each summer to assess participating properties. The Committee will determine how well a property is maintained through a scoring matrix system (Principles of Design, Turf, Plants, Hardscaping Features, Unique Features and Environmental Issues). Properties will be assessed and given a score between 0 and 100. All assessed properties will be notified of their assessment outcome shortly after. Information about the different categories can be found on the Trillium Categories that an assessment can be classified.
Property owners who have participated have been invited to attend a Recognition Ceremony that will take place on Thursday, September 22. All properties were sent two complimentary tickets included in their assessment mailout. During the Ceremony, property owners that have been Trillium rated will receive an award for their efforts. Program sponsors will also take part in the festivities. Participants are requested to RSVP their attendance to the ceremony by calling 905-356-7521 ext.3330. A wine and finger food reception will start at 6:30pm compliments of Daniela Mitrovic and Kathy Tsiantoulas from Re/Max Niagara Realty. The ceremony will start at 7:00pm and is scheduled to conclude at roughly 8:00pm. All of this will take place at the Ramada Plaza, Lundy's Lane in Niagara Falls.
Trillium Program Photo Galleries