The Combat Challenge Team for the Niagara Falls Fire Department was first established in 1999. Since its inception, several firefighters from both the full-time and volunteer ranks have participated as team members in various challenges in both Canada and the United States. The Challenges encourage firefighter fitness and demonstrate the professionâ€™s rigour to the public. Wearing full gear, competitors race head to head performing a series of tasks including tower climbing, hoisting, chopping, hose dragging and rescuing a weighted life-sized victim.
Our competitive team has been very successful in several categories of the competitions which are broken down as follows:
- Over 40 (with several top 10 finishes at world finals)
- Over 50
- Chief (with several top 5 finishes at world finals)
- Team (with several top 10 finishes at Canadian Nationals)
- Relay (with several top 10 finishes at Canadian Nationals)
- Over 40 Relay (3rd place at world finals)
In 2010, the Niagara Falls Combat Team attended the World Combat Challenge in South Carolina with successful results.