- 6110 Lundy's Lane
- Take Buchner Place off Drummond Rd. - Lundy's Lane is on north side of cemetery.
- 4 Acres
John Burch, 1799 (He was originally buried on his farm in 1797 and re-interred at Drummond Hill two years later)
Drummond Hill Cemetery is a nationally recognized heritage site. It is most famously known as the battle grounds of the "Battle of Lundy's Lane", as well as the burial site of Laura Secord. Christopher Buchner purchased 400 acres of
land from his father-in-law, James Forsythe, in 1799 and used the top of the hill as a burial ground. It later became the site of a fierce battle between the British and the Americans in 1814. The area became known as Drummond Hill,
in honour of General Drummond.
William Dalton's Journals, dating from 1845 to 1916 when he worked as the Sexton for many cemeteries in the area are excellent genealogy resources. Unfortunately, the records do not indicate where the burial is located or even what
cemetery the burial took place. Mr Dalton did, however, keep records in chronological order, which usually included some interesting background of the deceased.
The Niagara Parks Commission assumed jurisdiction of the Cemetery in 1910 and was then transferred to the City in 1996.
From a different perspective
In 2012, pictures were taken by Stamford Collegiate High School Students of the Drummond Hill Cemetery. View the Drummond Hill - From a Different Perspective Facebook Photo Album for those images.
Laura Secord Monument
One of the most famous females in Canadian history, Laura Secord is best known for her involvement in the War of 1812 - 1814 when she walked over 20 miles to inform the British of an impending attach by the American regiment.
Battle of Lundy's Lane - July, 1814
Led by Sir Gordon Drummond on the British side and General Jacob Jenning Brown on the American side, the fiercest battle of the War of 1814 took place at Drummond Hill. 876 British and Canadian soldiers as
well as 861 American soldiers were killed, wounded or captured.
A battle memorial was created by the Canadian Parliament and unveiled by the Lundy's Lane Historical Society on July 25th, 1895. The large cairn marks the remains of 22 British soldiers who were buried in the vault below it.
Three bronze plaques bearing the names of those killed in the Battle of Lundy's Lane were added to the monument in 1938.
In the summer of 2004 four commemorative panels were erected on the retaining wall at the Drummond Hill Cemetery, facing Lundy's Lane, to mark the 190th Anniversary of the Battle of Lundy's Lane and to celebrate the City's Centennial.
The four limestone panels, created by Campbell Monument Company in Belleville, depict scenes from the Battle of Lundy's Lane.
Full Interactive Mapping
Follow Battle of Lundy's Lane Walking Tour trail to experience the American advance and the British defense on the Lundyâ€™s Lane Battlefield. Stops at key locations will help you understand what occurred here on July 25, 1814.
Every weekend during the month of October the Lundy's Lane Museum conducts tours of Drummond Hill Cemetery. The tour includes the site where soldiers from the Battle of Lundy's Lane, as well as a depiction of the many famous settlers buried at the cemetery.
You are encouraged to learn more about the historical Drummond Hill Cemetery by visiting niagarafallsmuseums.ca.