Mayor Jim Diodati has major new announcements at State of the City Address
At his Annual State of the City Address, hosted by the Chamber of Commerce, Niagara Falls, Canada at the Americana Resort on Wednesday March 1, 2017, Mayor Diodati shared news of major projects coming up in 2017 in Niagara Falls.
Mayor Diodati announced these exciting projects for Niagara Falls this year:
- The launch of “Let’s Talk Niagara Falls,” a new Community Engagement Site focused on getting residents involved and engaged on projects that effect their City.
- Forums to submit comments and share suggestions on current City projects
- “Employee Shout-Out” program—a way to thank City employees for a job well done
- “Love My Neighbourhood” Program—an opportunity for neighbourhoods to have community gatherings to connect and come together, while leaving a legacy of community spirit in their area
More information at letstalk.niagarafalls.ca
- 10 new revitalized parks in 2017
- This will mean brand new playground equipment, new turf and accessible pathways where they are needed in 10 parks in Niagara Falls this year.
- Indoor Fitness Track at the Gale Centre Arena on Rink #1
- South End Off-Leash Dog Park
- Cultural Market Hub Study and Design—with the approval of Council, a Cultural Market Hub Study will take place this year to assess the community’s needs and desires in a new Market Hub behind the Niagara Falls History Museum at Sylvia Place. The Design work is also to be included in this phase.
- Internet Transaction Zone—In partnership with the Niagara Regional Police, a zone has been established to allow residents to exchange goods bought and sold online in a well-lit, secure public area at the new Niagara Regional Police Headquarters.
- E-Car Charging Stations—The City Parking Lot at Highway #420 and Victoria Avenue, is now equipped with E-Car Charging Stations available for all to use. With a simple parking payment, anyone with an E-Car can plug in and charge up in Niagara Falls. View the E-Car Charging Stations video.
- Canada 150 Highlights
- A free-for-all signature event, “Canada 150 Fun Fest in the Falls” will cap off 150th celebrations in Niagara Falls on August 26th at the Scotiabank Convention Centre with prime entertainment to be announced, a kids-zone and a Canadiana theme.
- Welcome to Niagara Falls Canada” sign—A new sign will be installed at Highway #420 in the area of Stanley Avenue. This will be a warm, Canadian and Niagara Falls’ welcome for all people entering Canada from the United States at the Rainbow Bridge. This sign will be a 150th Legacy Project that will remain for years to come.
- New section of the Millenium Trail will be named “Canada 150 Legacy Trail” at Royal Manor Drive.
- Canada-themed playground to be installed in Royal Manor Park
- Additional highlights of the address, include:
- Live-streaming of City Council Meetings beginning March 28th
- Highlights related to an Intelligent Community Strategy, including the goal to establish Wifi at some City parks this year and integrate smart technology throughout the City of Niagara Falls.
All of these announcements combine to create a framework for an Intelligent and Connected Community. The City will be transformed by turning regular areas in to gathering spaces, inviting connection, neighbourhood camaraderie, an exchange of ideas, and more opportunities to connect and engage in our City.
We encourage you to watch:
The Mayor's 2017 State of the City Address
Niagara Falls Community Map Video
For more information, contact:
Carey Campbell, Executive Officer
City of Niagara Falls
Phone: 905-356-7521 ext 4206