Niagara Falls, ON, May 4, 2017 - Bring your national pride this year, as we celebrate Canada’s 150th Birthday from Friday, June 30 to Sunday July 2. Enjoy free Canadian-inspired activities and entertainment all weekend long in our beautiful City! Residents and visitors can join a range of festive activities across the City, including:
Friday, June 30 at City Hall- Live Entertainment & Vendors
- 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm
- Niagara Students Rock Concert and Wendy Leard School of Dance;
- Hosted by Niagara Institute of Music and Art (NIOMA) with support from NRPS, Cruising on the Q, & Wendy Leard School of Dance
- Listen to great tunes from the winners of the 2017 Niagara Students Rock Concert and enjoy some hip hop dance and surprise guest musicians.
Saturday, July 1 – Oakes Park, Victoria Avenue & all along Queen Street:
- 8:00 am
- 1K & 5K Run or Walk for St. John Ambulance at Oakes Park
- Registration begins at 8:00 a.m.
- Prizes, Fruit & Medals for Age Category Winners. Entry forms available at St. John Ambulance, 5734 Glenholme Avenue, Niagara Falls, ON www.eventsonline.ca
- 9:00 am – 10:00 am
- Citizenship Ceremony in the Niagara Falls Public Library, 4848 Victoria Ave.
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Niagara Falls Concert Band Performance out front of the Niagara Falls Public Library
- 11:00 am Start Time:
- Canada Day Parade begins
- Parade will be along Victoria to Valley Way & Queen, ending at Queen & St. Clair
- 12:30 pm
- Opening Ceremonies at Niagara Falls City Hall on Queen St
- Join us for the Canadian National Anthem, with a huge choir led by Choir Nation, Oh Canada Eh!, “Be Our Guest” Beauty & the Beast Musical Revue, Camp Rock, The Rita Carrey Band, No Sugar Tonight and more! Plus enter the free raffle for some great prizes and enjoy some delicious free Birthday Cake from Portage Bakery (while supplies last!) starting at noon!
- 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Scotiabank Children’s Zone & Scotiabank Children’s Stage
- Located at the Rosberg Family Park (Queen & Ontario)
- Free Inflatables, Rock Climbing, NEW Sand Castle Sculptures, Mini-Putt, Face Painting, Reptile Kingdom, and Electronic Animal Rides!
- Get ready to boogie to our line-up for young and the young-at-heart. Enjoy face painting, displays, an interactive Peter Pan Show, Belle, Princess Elsa, and for those young scientists, Mad Science Fun Stations!
- Canada Day Art Show along Queen
- Celebrating Canadian artists. Don’t miss this amazing art area.
- 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Car Show Sponsored by Brock Ford Sales and hosted by Cruising on the Q
- Fabulous cars will be lined up along Queen between Victoria and Crysler Avenue. No entry fee this year with 2 awards to be presented!
- Live Entertainment:
- Residents can enjoy live entertainment immediately following the opening ceremonies on the Main Stage at City Hall until 8:30 pm.
- Go Green!
- A green initiative includes a complimentary bike valet in the Scotiabank Children’s Zone at Rosberg Family Park hosted by the Park in the City Committee from 12 noon to 4 pm. Residents are reminded to bring their own refillable water containers to the event. The Niagara Region Water Truck will be located at Queen & Erie.
- Other Highlights:
- Other highlights include EXTREME Music, Dance & Sports performances, showcasing a BMX stunt team, Mountain Bike Stunt Team, Skateboarding demos, Hoola Hoop fun zone & more. Big Brothers and Big sisters will also be hosting their Pepper Palace WingFest at Taps on Queen. Visit www.niagarafallsmentors.org for information.
Sunday, July 2 at City Hall
- 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Live entertainment provided by LiveStock Niagara
Temporary Traffic Disruptions
- Residents are reminded that celebrations around the City will cause temporary traffic disruptions, during the weekend:
- Friday, June 30 at 12 noon to Sunday at 7:00 pm
- Queen Street closed from Ontario to Erie only
- Saturday, July 1:
- Victoria Ave.(from Jepson to Queen) closed 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 pm
- All of Queen Street closed 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 pm
- Queen from Ontario to Erie will remain closed until 10:00 pm for free entertainment at City Hall
A special thank you to all of the volunteers, community groups and sponsors who make the celebrations possible! The City of Niagara Falls is proud to celebrate our country’s 150th birthday! For more information about road closures and for a detailed event listing for Canada Day in Niagara Falls, please visit www.niagarafalls.ca/canadaday
For more information, contact:
Lori Albanese, City of Niagara Falls
Phone: 905-356-7521 ext. 3330
Posted on: 5/5/2017 11:52 AM
- Category: Media Releases